Friday, November 22, 2013

Been Through Georgia in a Rental Car





Last Saturday morning I was motoring toward Atlanta in a rental car on East Avenue out of my hometown of Cedartown, Georgia when I passed this sideroad junkyard. Greyhound buses have always had a special place in my heart since my first novel Calling begins with my two main characters meeting across the aisle of one. (When I was anxious to get the novel published, I saw Greyhounds everywhere.) So I was especially excited to see an old one paired with a rusted out touring bus of a gospel group known as the Apostolics, described as a band of "Pentecostal Crusaders" on the white license plate beneath the window. 

I had a great time talking about time, place, and research in my novel Fall Line at events hosted by Georgia Highlands College, the Rome Area Writers and the Coosa River Basin Initiative, the Cedartown Public Library, the Georgia Writers Association and Kennesaw State University, and the University of Georgia Libraries and UGA English Student Advisory Committee. Thanks for your hospitality, and I hope to see y'all again soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those buses are parked a few blocks from my house. I rode many Greyhounds in my life. I sure wish we still had bus and train service.